PENS has established the AP Recognition program at the request of Nurses specializing in pediatric endocrinology. Activities approved for the Pediatric Endocrine Nurse (PEN) and the Advanced Practice – Pediatric Endocrine Nurse (AP-PEN) points go beyond routine, entry-level pediatric endocrinology nursing practice, and challenge individual applicants to contribute to the art and science of the specialty.
Qualified nurses may be recognized as having achieved Competency in Pediatric Endocrine Nursing by fulfilling the activity requirements of the PEN or AP-PEN. Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (NP, CNS, CRNA and CNM) can apply for the AP-PEN recognition via portfolio.
Current porfolio submission deadline is May 31, 2019.
The objectives of the PENS Portfolio Recognition Program are to promote excellence in Pediatric Endocrinology Nursing by:
- Formally recognizing those individuals who meet all the requirements of the PENS Portfolio Program.
- Encouraging continued professional growth in the practice of pediatric endocrinology nursing.
- Establishing and measuring the level of knowledge required for PEN and AP-PEN recognition in Pediatric Endocrinology Nursing.
- Providing a standard of knowledge required for recognition, thereby assisting the employer, public, and members of health professions in the assessment of the Pediatric Endocrinology Nurse.
The Advanced Practice (AP) Portfolio Program is a mechanism for demonstrating advanced level knowledge and competency in the practice of Pediatric Endocrinology Nursing evidenced by completion of:
- Graduate level nursing education as a patient care provider (NP, CNS, CNRA, or CNM).
- Professional activities that contribute to the advancement of the art and science of Pediatric Endocrinology Nursing.
Successful applicants are recognized at PENS’ National Conference each year during the award ceremony.
To view an outline and examples of the PENS Portfolio Program, click the link below:
There are two application cycles per year:
Cycle 1 - Applications received by May 31
Cycle 2 - Applications received by December 31