Diabetes in Children
Presented by Cheryl Switzer MSN, RN, CPNP, CDE
What content is provided?
This program will provide a general diabetes refresher as well as current treatment and practical points to help care for the patient with diabetes. This presentation will help make the caregiver more comfortable with diabetes in general.
Who should use it?
Any pediatric nurse who may come in contact with a patient with diabetes.
Program Goal: Make pediatric nurses more comfortable in caring for patients with diabetes.
- Identify and become comfortable with glucose monitoring techniques and various commonly used insulin regimens.
- Discuss how to treat hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia.
- Describe current diabetes technology.
Conflict of Interest: Cheryl Switzer has declared no conflicts of interest.
*Please note that contact hours are not available for recording.
PENS and The MAGIC Foundation Webinar
Short Stature Assessment in Children: A Fundamental Step Toward Early Diagnosis of Growth Failure and a Comprehensive Approach to Growth Disorders
This case-based enduring activity will cover the diagnosis, treatment and management of children with growth/growth hormone disorders.
This activity is intended to meet the educational needs of pediatric nurse practitioners (PNPs) and other pediatric-focused advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs).
Upon completion of the program, attendees should be able to:
- Review methods to measure and plot height and to calculate height velocity and midparental target height to allow early diagnosis of growth disorders in pediatric patients
- Identify diagnostic criteria that allow differentiation among various causes of growth deficiency
- Identify tools for better communication with patients and families and coordination of multidisciplinary care
- Discuss challenges in the referral to specialists for the diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency or other diseases responsible for short stature and their appropriate management
Jan M. Foote, DNP, ARNP, CPNP
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Blank Children’s Endocrinology Clinic
Des Moines, IA
Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor
College of Nursing
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
Mitchell E. Geffner, MD
Chief of the Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Professor of Pediatrics
Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA